Twitterspace

Context

  • Indiana University (Bloomington, IN)
  • Ph.D. dissertation (primary researcher)

Case

Problem: We wanted to compare various user research methods for analyzing community awareness and engagement with public displays.

twitterspace_popup

This is an example image of the working system. The real system is no longer pulling data from Twitter due to changes in the API.

Click here to see an example with sample data.

Methods: We incorporated on-going logs of foot traffic, periodic surveys of users, and interviews after implementation.

community

This is an example of the display being actively used.

Findings: We learned while the displays did not directly improve the community awareness of events, there was an uptick in participation in community Twitter accounts. We also learned that the device we created was pleasant, faded into the background, and was informative.

Outcomes: The research led to one academic publication.

Related Documents:

Twitterspace Project Research Report (This is a transformation of this project from academic publication to research report).

Details

Dates of Project: Jan 2007-Dec 2010

Research Methods Used: Survey, Interview, Observation, Data Logging

My Roles: Research, Design, Writing, Programming, Artistry

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s